19 March 2010

The Pre-Spring Break Post



Well my bloggy followers spring break is here and Im ready to go! flight takes off at 6pm, and I have nothing packed, not many plans, and no idea how to get anywhere in any city. Who would have thought that planning spring break yourself was going to be so difficult! I remember back to the days when mommy would plan all the vacations. Now I understand why they created travel agents.

I guess I should explain the pictures. Its almost Easter here in Praha and that means interesting holiday celebrations that are certinly not normal to anyone who hasnt lived here. Easter is the day when men in Prague carry around sticks with ribbons (aka whips) and hit women they find attractive. In return the women are supposed to give them easter eggs. Now are we supposed to just carry around a basket of eggs all day? where do these eggs come from? can they be pink and plastic? so mnay unanswered questions. Anyway they hardcore decorate the streets here. this is a tree in old town square... see the little chicks in eggs? so cute. and there are so many stands set up all decorated with the orange and yellow streamers. I love it! So excited for Easter here. well the monday at least, Easter sunday will be spent in Ireland which is the MOST EXCITING THING EVER!

So St. Patricks day in Praha.... very different. People are much more quiet and reserved. There are soooo many tourists which is interesting. We went to this one irish pub and I think we were more Czech than the bartenders. It was fun though. I love st. patricks day so just being in the "irish" atmosphere was exciting.

On note of the tourist thing... its become high travel season and everywhere is sooo crowded! and I definitely do not enjoy it. It takes twice as long to get between the 2 NYU buildings trying to make your way through the crowds on tours and taking pictures. Its really funny because technically Im still a tourist... kinda. But I get so annoyed with all the tour groups. I guess maybe Im no longer a tourist? Another thing I noticed is simple things here have become soo normalized. When you first arrive in a country that doesnt speak your language, everything sounds very strange and you listen to all of it. Now I hear conversations and it is still really intriguing to liten to and try to figure out, but for example hearing tram stops called out, I dont even notice anymore until I get to my stop. Its as if I am hearing it in my native language. Going back to NYC is going to be very difficult!

I'm gonna keep this short so I can go pack for some HOT times in Barcelona, Madrid and Morocco! Im not going to be able to write but Ill give massive updates when Im back! Na shledanou!!

No comments:

Post a Comment