21 April 2010

Όταν στην Ελλάδα...να επωφεληθούν από το περιβάλλον σας

Roughly translated: "when in Greece take advantage of your surroundings"

Which we did. Flights all over Europe were cancelled. Thanks to Eyjafjallajokull, that lovely Icelandic volcano, we were stuck in Athens with no bright outlook for the future of leaving.

In the morning My aunt and I decided to get a little exercise (because all the walking we have been doing has apparently not been enough.... ok I really wanted to do this) and we ran/walked/jogged up this crazy steep and mega high mountain thing that has a church/restaurant on the top. It was HARD and I realize how much I need to run more, but the view was absolutely amazing and you could even look DOWN on the Parthenon, which shows you how high it really was. I felt accomplished, hence this picture.

So another day trip it is. This time to Nafplio (Ναύπλιο) or the Greek equilivent to Naples in Italy. Before getting there we stopped at the Διώρυγα της Κορίνθου, Corinth Canal, which was really beautiful. It was here we had these sandwiches of kebabs with the fries in them. Just like in Istabul but a little different. I will always love them.
Then to Nafplio. It was a really nice drive there and then we arrived at a small littly town, full of small shops and cafe's and big open squares. And a castle but once you've seen 15 castles, they aren't really as interesting anymore.
It was here we had some loukamades, or these amazing donut like things. I can't really describe them any better than saying they tasted like heaven. This was another nice relaxing day, just casually window shopping for most or actually shopping for some who hadn't bought a dress and shoes the day before ( but they are really cute and totally worth it) On the way home we passed a little side store and bought some saussage and nuts and bread and other various things that were specially made in Greece. OH also forgot about the fact that we bought wine on the side of the street earlier in the day. It looked like vinagar to me, but tasted amazing. Sweet Greek Wine.

For dinner we heated up some leftovers and made a greek salad and watched a movie. The Blind Side which I never saw before and was soooooooo impressed.
I know- what a way to spend a night in Greece, sitting at home watching movies. But it was so perfect. I was already so tired and the fact that there was no hope for getting home within the next few days all I wanted to do was relax and sleep early, which I fully enjoyed. More than you know.

Monday- still no flight out of Athens. The situation was seeming to get worse. So what do you do then? go to a Greek Island of course. Aegina is only a fast 40 minute boat ride away and offers that Greek Island feel without the crazy tousists. Sounds like a commerical right? right. Aegina was really beautiful. At this point in our trip I was WAYY overtired and beginning to miss classes for this week of school and really just wanted to go home. So to make the best of it, while the 3 lovely ladies I was traveling with rented scooters to explore the island, I spent my day with the beach, my chair, and the guy who kept singing the New York New York song. He did offer me a free beach chair and told all the tourists to "leave the American Girl along! Don't touch her!" Was an entire group of Italian teenagers going to touch me? Doubt it, and this doubt was futher proved when they promised the man they wouldn't. So though all of this I was able to enjoy a nice long day on the beach, listening to my ipod and enjoying the fact that I was on a Greek Island sipping Sangria and getting a tan.

The day got a little interesting when waiting for everyone a middle aged Greek man sat down next to me and told me I had nice hair and that he would leave his wife in a second if I wanted to go with him. I kindly thanked the man and told him my Czech boy friend might not appreciate that. Now I just have to tell my Czech boy friend. That is FIND a Czech boyfriend.

We went home and Had the saussage from yesterday, the rest of the Greek salad and of course much wine! We watched another movie however for the majority of the time I was stuck on the phone with plane companies waiting to hear back about any potential flight out of anywhere. Basically a failure, just as the trip to the Athen's travel agency had been that morning. It was beginning to look like I would never return to Prague...

No comments:

Post a Comment