20 April 2010

Day 3 stuck in Athens: no hope on the horizon, only ash

Last time I wrote to you all it was sunday and my flight was cancelled. Currently the time is Tuesday and I'm still reporting from Greece, listening to NPR and trying to figure out what to do today since I have seen more of Athens than most people who live here for 3 years. I'm thinking a good day on the couch would work out just fine, however when stranded in Greece, I guess you need to take advantage.

I guess I can just begin the reporting from day 2 of being here, not stuck day 2 but actual day 2. Way back to Friday...lets see if I even remembered what happened...

Woke up in the morning and had some coffee and cheerios. that's right, cheerios. Randomly they sell cheerios here in Athens, yay for the west!
Today was the typical Athens tourist day. We walked over to the Theatre of Dionysus, and the Acropolis and the Parthenon. It was a beautiful day out, in the 70s, and the sun was shinning so it made everything that much better looking. I've seen the old European towns, but here it is all ancient ruins, and they are amazing to see. Most are in better shape than my apartment in NYC... which is saying something. I decided that going to college is no longer necessary (which is convienent since I may never get back to college) and I'll just build houses like they did in ancient Greece. Yay new life plan!

We walked around the ancient promanade and saw things like old temples, shrines, statues, and the old agora, which was the ancient Greek mall. It was just really great to walk around in the weather and not see old buildings in the gothic style or hear church bells like basically every other place I have been to. I loved it. We stopped for lunch at an outdoor cafe, which is all they have here and as you might have learned is my favorite. ( and I can now say I have tried basically every type of Greek beer, and that was all while being here in the actual days)

We saw some more sites and headed back to where we are staying and went to meet the people we are staying with, who work at the US embassy here in Athens. COOL PART: We got to go into the Embassy with them and see the complex... which I probs can't tell you about or the government would be after you. (ok probably not really but it sounds better saying that) The best part is that the embassy has a store with food from America, and I got to go in and buy things! I go a butterfinger, which I never eat at home but it was just really nice to see it. I also got cheerios and syrup to bring back to Praha, if I ever make it back that is.
We went out for drinks next to the Embassy and then headed out to dinner near gizi, an area in Athens where there are tons of clubs and restaurants. We ate at one place and had a ton of amazing greek food (imagine picture here)SOOO yummy. After dinner we went out for a drink in the bar area, which would have been so amazing if I wasn't with my mother and... well people that aren't my age. (love everyone.... just not going to go clubbing with them!) it was nice though and I was tired enough that heading home and sleeping by 2:30am was perfect.

So that was friday. I feel like Im going to have 13thousand entries for Greece. After friday we started to get less touristy, going to areas that tourists don't really go to, and my journys even include an island adventure and whatever happens today... which could basically be anything.

I love Greece, but I'm ready to be home. I'm missing all these classes and my food is going bad and I just want to be back in Praha, even though the bed Im sleeping in now is absolutely amazing compared to anything I have slept in in 3 months. Luckily the weather is amazing and we have a free place to stay. The best part is its like being at a real home, with a couch and we make dinner here and just watch movies and read the morning paper and have pancakes. I've been able to do some reading and eat breakfast on the patio, overlooking the orange trees on the street and watching the greek people down below. Ok guess I shouldn't complain about being stranded...

No comments:

Post a Comment