10 April 2010

stalagmites, stalactites, and a tub of lard... Crazy night in Brno, Česká republika

Laying on my bed listening to Dave Matthews and coughing, I decided to update the blogg right away, even though I have spent sufficient time crying my eyes out from the lack of comments recieved on my blogg after all the hard work I put into writing it. It's fine my feelings are only semi-completely hurt.

So NYU trip to Brno, the second largest city in the Czech Republic. I had no idea what to expect honestly, being as a lot of the NYU sponsered trips have turned into complete disasters I was hoping this free overnight adventure would change that steak of bad vacays! We borded the bus at 9am to be greeted with the most interesting bus driver in the world, who Im pretty sure is blind as 2 seconds into our trip we ended up trying to drive through a construction scene and ended up driving completely over a tram stop sidewalk. Here we go! Luckily we made it to the first stop... which was not expected whatsoever. We pit-stoped at Skanzen, an old Czech village that is preserved as a museum thing now. For those of you at home think Geneese Country Muesum without the actors. aka extremely boring. Sorry. But it kinda was, and they only had Czech guides so we basically only knew what Misa could translate on the tour. At least we were able to use to WC for free.

So then it was back on the bus for an obscene amount of time and found out way to the caves! Ater a nice 2.4km hike through the woods we ended up at this little train thing that took us to the cave area.

FOr the caves we were given a walking tour of the first part and they were ablsolutely amazing! I have never been in a legit cave before and it was just like they look in the movies. I was really intrigued by them and now, I plan on studying caves. Not really.

Then after the walking part we got into BOATS and took a boat tour of the rest of the caves because there is no walking path. that was probably the coolest part. NYU actually came through this time!

So after the caves we went to the city of Brno and checked into our hotel, which was actually pretty nice, especially considering we have been staying in hostels for the past 3 months. Clarke and I were in the honeymoon sweet (haha basically)and it was huge and the beds were soooo comfortable. So after a little chill time NYU took us out to dinner at a medevil resturant. ummm it was interesting. At first they only served us lentles, bread, pickles, and what looked like mashed potatoes and turned out to be an entire dish of lard. this was the first hour and I was starting to lose it, or as someone put it my sim dimond went from green to red, very quickly. Then they brought out a huge thing of these amazing potatoes and a huge platter of as many kinds of meat that you can imagine, and sparklers. It was quite intertaining and the food didn't taste that bad! After dinner we walked around the town for a little and then headed back for a nice sleep in those comfortable beds!

In the morning after free hotel breakfast we took a tour of Brno which was really nice but it was raining so it was pretty misserable. Brno is a nice city, much smaller than prague and not as active but it was a relaxing time, which was nice. After the tour we borded the bus and went to Telč, a UNESCO town in the Czech Republic. Here we went on a tour of a beautiful chateau and then walked around the town... for about 15 minutes because it was sooo cold and we were all so tired. But it was a really beautiful city.

So then we took the bus back to the Praha and ended the free trip to Brno. Overall it was a really great trip and it was really nice to see more of the Czech Republic and the countryside along with it. Although I have learned one important thing on this trip. Americans are awful especially in other countries. So when you hear that Europeans hate Americans and you get offended, blame those disrespectful American tourists, and there are plenty of them.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for updating Sam. Great reading as usual. Have fun in Greece!
    Love,
    Aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Sam I have to say something.
    I have been stalking your blog forever, and I've wanted to comment on almost every post, but I didn't want to seem weird and tell you this is my new way to procrastinate and it makes me laugh so much, because that would be creepy.
    The beginning to this made me feel so bad that I had to though lol.
    By the way, this is so late because I'm reading in chronological order

    -Tatiana

    ReplyDelete