27 January 2010

-22 Degrees Celcius

So no pictures today. I have 3 hours between classes... so I'm reporting today from the field... aka the NYU computer lab. Lets begin with the first day of classes...

It's a little sad that I have to catch the 11:17 tram to be at class at 12 and I think that it's way to early to get up. 1st class: anthropology, European cultures. The professor is pretty much adorable. Starts the semester off with a speech about skiing and sports and then kinda talks about the class then tells us where to get organic food. I am in love. once again. Next: Czech. SUPER FREAKIN HARD. every noun has a gender and adjectives have to be converted to match that gender. plus no means ne and yes is said ano or just no... so opposite. and guest means host so lets just make everything backwards. All the classes are small so hopefully I'll be pretty much fluent by the end. lets hope.
Gender in transition: seems like it will be interesting. All these classes have a lot of work and and lot of reading and writing. This is supposed to be an easy semester. Another thing i noticed is that all my professors grew up under communism. I think it will be really interesting to be taught from that perspective, since it was only 20 years ago that communism ended. I am really intrigued and I like learning about europe since you dont really learn about modern Europe in high school.

After the first day we went to this place pivovelky or something.. thats actually not what its called. I had coffee flavored beer. it was amazing. there were all kinds of flavors... wheat, sour cherry, nettle, banana, ect. So interesting. I love trying new things. And my professor this morning made a good point. Here, in the country where we consume the most beer per capita, drinking alcohol is not like alcohol, but like normal. its cheaper than water and it is normal to drink beer instead of anything else. Binge drinking doesn't really exist. (however because Russia's main alcohol is voldka, they are dying off rapidly and have the highest shrinking population).

Tuesday I only have topics of 20th century music which I am super excited for.... because Im a music nerd. Plus one of my famous composers; Dvorak, was born here so obviously this is the best place to take this class.... enough of the boring details.

Going to Berlin this weekend!!!!! so pumped to finally take a trip outside of Prague. I haven't seen barely anything and I cant believe I have already been here for 2 weeks but I need to start exploring around the world too!!! more later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment